Unofficial Nextion/TJC User Forum

SD card Init fail error - Is card formatted FAT32?

I had an odd issue happen with my 5" Nextion enhanced display last night and I thought I’d share the resolution here in case others have the same problem (or I forget and go searching for the answer again :slightly_smiling_face:).

I find that using the SD card to update the display firmware is extremely useful, especially during the development cycle when I’m getting the MCU and the Nextion code working together. I probably did 20 or 30 updates yesterday. At the end of the day, the Nextion refused to recognize the SD card and kept asking if I had formatted it FAT32. Of course I had, since I had been using the same card all day long.

With my preferred update method now apparently gone, I connected up a 3.3V USB/TTL adapter to the display and uploaded the new program. It uploaded with no problem. Just for kicks, I tried the SD card method again, and NOW IT WORKS!

Apparently the last time I uploaded the program from the SD card I shut the power off too quickly and left the display in some odd state. Going through the serial upload and reboot process appears to have fixed the problem.

3 Likes

This forum is in no way affiliated with NEXTION®, ITEAD STUDIO®, TJC®, or anyone else really. All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product, and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement from the respective rights holder(s).