Unofficial Nextion/TJC User Forum

Referencing event target within handler

My HMI has about 50 buttons across multiple screens, all with nice objnames that are descriptive and unique. I would like the screen to notify my microcontroller each time one is pressed.

I would like my handlers to contain something like:

prints this.objname,32

Of course this doesn’t work. I also tried .objname, self.objname, target.objname, and similar, but none worked.

So instead I have made each button handler contain a literal string that matches its objname. This works but is redundant, probe to typos, etc.

prints "bStopMachine",32

Is there a better way?

Background

I’m new to Nextion and want to use it with esp32 using the esp-idf. I prefer to keep most of the smarts in the microcontroller, and have all buttons trigger a handler on the microcontroller. It’s straightforward to communicate with the Nextion over serial, but I’m looking for a simple way to make the Nextion publish these events over serial.

I know I can use the button ids, but there are some pretty major problems with that:

• Microcontroller needs a huge mapping of arbitrary ids to semantic labels. It would be nice if it sent the objname which is already a nice semantic label
  • Deleting an object renumbers all ids on that page, so the mapping would need to manually be updated!
  • ids are only unique to a page, so the microcontroller needs to also keep a stateful representation of the current screen state and monitor page state transitions. :face_vomiting:

Am I missing something? What does everyone else do?

This forum is in no way affiliated with NEXTION®, ITEAD STUDIO®, TJC®, or anyone else really. All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product, and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement from the respective rights holder(s).