Nextion Example tft files?

I downloaded examples from the Nextion website, and installed the latest editor, Version 1.63.3

When I try to open an example file, I get:
“Can not open this file Your HMI file is made by a low version editor)”

How am I supposed to try the example HMI files?

I’d try downloading the LTS version, opening your file, saving it, then opening it again in the latest version.

I don’t see anywhere on that site to download anything before 1.63.3

Here’s the direct download link for the LTS version taken from the link above.

Thanks- it may have been my browser…

This works and I can try the example files.
It doesn’t speak well of Nextion if the example files on their website don’t work with the latest version of the editor.

can you open “.tft” in LTS?
“.tft” doesn’t open an edition of Nextion editor for me, only “HMI”

No editor version can open .tft files for editing, only .hmi files. That’s similar to the Arduino IDE which opens well .ino, .h, .c files etc. for editing but not compiled .hex or .bin files.

But the Nextion Editor allows to upload compiled .tft files via the “upload” button. When no .HMI project is open, clicking upload will open an explorer widow which allows to select a readily compiled .tft file for upload over a usb to serial adapter.

1 Like

Hi @Betty-G and @Fjodor

You can also run TFT files in the debugger/simulator. Same steps as with the upload button. However, it only works for files that have been compiled with the exact same editor version (reason explained here. tl;dr: facepalm).
AFAIK Nextion doesn’t give you any way to figure out which one of the tens of possible editor versions you’d need to open a given file. The information is there, they just don’t show it to you. Convenient, right? The third-party TFTTool is one option to get that information. Or have a look at the work-in-progress public documentation of the TFT file format and read it yourself with a hex editor or something similar.

Regards,
Max

1 Like

hello, thanks for your letter.
how?
Can you please explain (perhaps illustrate?)
Did I understand correctly?

1. copy file.tft to an SD card (format 32)
  2. with card reader, or USB to PC
  3. “upload”

???

with “upload” I usually upload my file.hmi to the display… (TTL-USB)

Hi, thanks for your answer.
I didn’t introduce myself, just (perhaps rudely) hissed gossip…
I’m not an expert, I only know “hexeditor” because of “editing a hard disk”…
My intelligent versions of Nextion (red shield) can also do something with “hex editor” but I’ve never used/tried that…

… I’ve also become “comfortable” over time and am looking for a “quick solution”

So the “upload” does not mean “edit”.

“Upload” to device works either “via SD card” or “in Nextion editor”.
but “editing” or “saving” of .tft does not work according to my knowledge.
“tft. to view” can in “upload mode”.

I hope that’s understandable.
a “tft upload” without first configuring it for your own needs is useless in my opinion.