Nextion alternative

The ASN looks to be part of Ali cloud, which isn’t suspicious - no different than AWS or Azure for a Chinese-based company. Their about page suggests they’re based in Beijing so that also aligns.

View Technologies looks like they’re from Wuhan, which wasn’t all that notable up until a few months ago :smiley:

I can happily vouch for the kind Mr. Dog here. He is a fair and honest reviewer and has a YouTube channel for that work. He’d be a great choice for this.

Fjodor - I’m with you - lets sit back with a beer and see how this unfolds.
I did have a look at the manual it but looks complicated and very technical - maybe I was looking at it upsidedown.
Can’t even see how you communicate with these boards.
Maybe Nextion aren’t that bad, just the annoying Patrick.

Puzzled…

I am very interested in your modules, I already have a nextion intelligent series, already did a lot of programming (http://xwin.tk) and pretty interested to see how yours work, if you feel you want, send me a sample :wink:

1 Like

Hi fellows, thank you for the interest. I’ll answer most concerned questions here.

@luma has done great job, honestly speaking: Viewtech factory is in Wuhan, the brand is used in China;
STONE is in Beijing, takes charge of global sales. Product and software has little difference.

I’m not going to say STONE is NOT Viewtech, the hardware and software is compatible.
Services, certificates and marketing is the difference between STONE and Viewtech.
Viewtech has no team for global aftersales service, while we provide techinical assistance for free.
Maybe it’s not important for individual development, but it makes difference if the project gets commercialized.

I’ll say a bit more about the difference about TJC and Viewtech.
TJC is based in Shenzhen, where electrical products competetion is fierce. TJC keeps making cost low to survive, @MangyDogUK has found it out.
Viewtech is based in Wuhan, it’s owner, Xiancheng Fu, has doctor degree at EE. His doctoral thesis in 2006 is about designing GUI chips, later he led a team to make it commercialized.

Comparing products between TJC and Viewtech, you will find Viewtech keeps some “unnecessary components” to make its product more reliable in different environments.
I’ll say TJC panel is really good for DIY projects: cheap enough, simple, works well in stable indoor environment.
If you needs something working in factory or outdoor, Viewtech/STONE is much more reliable.

1 Like

Hi luma, thanks for sharing the experience.
I cannot reproduce the issue in our Win10 PCs, I suggest you copy andoverlay the authorized .rsa file to both C:\VGUS2019 Development Tool\ and your Tool software folder.
Hope this will help.
link herehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1h9k2BQWXRsFFLLREfrh-5N4WvC8xHb77/view?usp=sharing

@MangyDogUK and @xwintk, thanks for the interest!
I must go to pull my wisdom tooth now, the dentist kept me waiting for 2 months…
I’ll discuss with my colleagues about your cases and reply later.

Sure haha, we will wait.

That did the trick - the file was already there but as a zero-length file. Copying over the version that was in my install folder to C:\VGUS2019 Development Tool has resulted in a working installation. This isn’t great but… I can live with it. It would be much better if your editor followed basic Windows guidelines and used standard locations for writeable files. The root of C: isn’t that place.

Still though - the editor works and looks pretty good! Question for you - is there a device emulator? Or is it assumed that development will happen with a physical device and code changes need to be uploaded to a panel in order to be tested?

These are all pretty good answers, thanks for taking the time to explain all of this to us!

@STONE-Technology Gonna try and make a navigator :wink:

Yes, the emulator is in Tool menu --> Virtual Serial Port Screen
Most functions can be tested without a physical device.

2 Likes

Hi xwintk, thanks for your interest. I cannot send message to you, can you write to leon@stone-hmi.com so we can discuss about review and sample shipping?

1 Like

Already sent! Check the email.

You have a good sense of wine, don’t you haha!
I am now going to fully read the documentation for the editor.
Getting ready :slight_smile:

Taking a look at the software. It is buggy. Very buggy. Sometimes trying to run the simulator makes the whole editor crash, which sometimes can result to project not being saved. Oh and also, the OS that I am making for the device will be called baseOS :slight_smile:

Hey there, so if anyone wondering, I have uploaded the review a while ago. Forgot to post the link here, so here it is!

1 Like

I must say, I’m disappointed by this video. I had expected a true side-be-side comparison of building the same real world project from scratch on both, the Stone and the Nextion, in terms of development time and effort and execution speed. I had further expected a technical comparison in terms of touch sensitivity and precision, luminosity, viewing angle and contrast. I had expected some benchmarking which compares code developed and executed directly on the respective HMIs vs code running on the external MCU and using the HMIs only as pure I/O devices. What I saw instead was mostly unpacking, plugging, and commenting an almost prefabricated kit. Not very helpful.

1 Like

He (?) sounded like he was 15. What did you expect?

I agree. Can not understand, though, why Stone Technologies choose a kid as a product tester. That’s just not serious. Who cares if the protection film is smooth like butter?