3.2 Inch version stopped after sold out

Hello,

my supplier just told me that the 3.2 inch version will not continue after they are sold out.
I hope that is not true.

That is not true. Nextion have renewed their LTA (long term availability) commitment in 2019 for another 5 years if I understand it correctly: https://cdn.nextion.tech/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/LTA-Announcement.pdf

Thanks for the link.
They sent out a text to all the dealers with the note that the 3.2 is stopped because of the lack of raw materials.

I could put my hands on a similar info in the meantime, telling that because of component shortage, there would be a temporary disruption. But not stopped.

If you’re not able to ship product, the difference between “disruption” and “stopped” is pretty hard to distinguish. You’re always in a dicey position whenever your BOM includes a component that has no alternative supplier, but that risk is exponentially higher when that single supplier cannot live up to their own guarantees.

I know I’ve said it before, but man you have to be some kind of fool to specify Nextion in a new product these days. Prices double without warning, supplies run out, support is non-existent. They have you over a barrel if you use their parts and they know it.

What other screens are available that can be programmed similar to the Nextions and with comparable graphic capabilities?

Nearly any LCD you can find, a microcontroller, and LVGL. NXP is now leveraging LVGL for their own products and has written a free GUI editor. I don’t think it’s at the point where Nextion is quite yet, but the LVGL project is now getting a lot of traction and the main project page is seeing commits on a near-daily basis (as of this writing, the most recent commit was < 1 hour ago).

We now have the combination of a graphics library under heavy development from a lot of contributors, and an editor being pushed by a large semiconductor company. All of this is done at zero cost to the developer. So, while Nextion is busy increasing prices and adding no features, there’s another option that’s much cheaper, not locked into any platform, and getting close to feature parity (and well beyond Nextion in some areas).

edit: oh, and the developers are not huge assholes. That’s another key differentiator.

2 Likes

That sounds like the graphics code will reside on the mcu, not the lcd like the Nextion.

Yup! Keep in mind that the Nextion itself has an STM32 on board. If you want to keep LCD responsibilities separate from your main MCU code, then slap an additional STM32 into your BOM and you still wind up with a solution that’s less than half the price of the equivalent-sized Nextion but without the quality fade problems, decent off-axis viewing, and also not having to deal with Nextion.

FYI…

Dear Nextion Customers,

Recently, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic which leads to the shortage of the glass and chipset supply, the 3.2-inch Nextion production capability is very limited.

We have stopped the 3.2-inch retail business as you may saw from our store. Although we are suffering the challenge from the shortage of raw material, we are still working hard to figure out the solutions to meet the sourcing demands of Nextion industrial customers and keep the supply going on.

Thus, If your project is using a 3.2-inch Nextion HMI display module including NX4024T032 and NX4024K032 and still have the needs of large amount order request, please fill in the form from the link below and contact the Nextion sales representative, you would get the first priority to purchase the 3.2-inch product.

Form Link: https://forms.gle/8f92seekZJDXLv5YA

Nextion sales representative: joy.hu@itead.cc
Best Regards,
Nextion Team

Hello, does any one have / or know where we can buy 50 or so 3.2 LCD ?

we will change to 3.5 in next set but have plastic etc for 3.2 need to use or scrap,

thanks,

Did you contact Itead/Nextion directly? About three weeks ago, they sent an email to all registered customers to ask for their future requirements, so that the remaining stock could be distributed equally:

Dear Nextion Customers,

Recently, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic which leads to the shortage of the glass and chipset supply, the 3.2-inch Nextion production capability is very limited. We have stopped the 3.2-inch retail business as you may saw from our store. Although we are suffering the challenge from the shortage of raw material, we are still working hard to figure out the solutions to meet the sourcing demands of Nextion industrial customers and keep the supply going on. Thus, If your project is using a 3.2-inch Nextion HMI display module including NX4024T032 and NX4024K032 and still have the needs of large amount order request, please fill in the form from the link below and contact the Nextion sales representative, you would get the first priority to purchase the 3.2-inch product.

Form Link: https://forms.gle/8f92seekZJDXLv5YA

Nextion sales representative: joy.hu@itead.cc

This is a great pity, I have always enjoyed using NEXTION’s small size screen, I wish I could find a TFT LCD similar to NEXTION.