Who is Patrick?

I simply posted on itead’s facebook

Well, I’m glad its not just me. I had the temerity to ask a question on the Itead Forum (Nextion Section) and was tersley told I had to ask it on the Nextion.Itead forum.
I read the (lengthy) forum rules and decided I should ask the sales team my question, and found my account had been disabled.
Nice.

1 Like

“There is no greater or more easily abused power than that of an online forum moderator.” Patrick narcissistically believes he’s a tech God and will unquestionably dismiss the less-experienced without reservation.

1 Like

Its really easy for someone in a support role to dismiss the sometimes trivial questions asked by first time users of a product. What seems obvious to someone experienced ain’t so obvious to a new by. Said experienced person forgets that newbies are the main target for a product seeking to expand its market reach, and they need nurturing so as to grow the product reputation.
Here I find myself wondering if I can buy this product and use it without any need for support.
My main concerns are the library and also apparent sensitivity of the product to quality of power supply. Apparently the device can be damaged by a power supply with too low voltage or current draw capability which is not intuitive and not heard of in my 20+ years of experience as an electronics tech.

Well…if you do buy it, you can always come here for support. The folks here are very helpful and not at all condescending…whether you’re new or not. :wink:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the power supply. If you’ve been doing this stuff for 20 years then it’s nothing more serious than observing normal rules. The comments are intended for very new-newbies.
I think the concern comes about because the smaller displays run happily on USB power whereas the bigger ones are, obviously, more hungry and can go into a power-up-drop-out cycle. I’ve seen this a lot on my bench when I turn off main power but I still have a USB connection to the display or my micro still connected. It’s never caused my displays a permanent problem but I could imagine that left for a while the display might get fed up. Nextion don’t really have libraries per se, but it’s standard capabilities are pretty good. Talking to an MCU is easy without that needing a “Nextion lib”. It takes a little while to wrap your head around but the normal approach is to write Nextion commands directly in serial strings. No extra protocol to worry about and pretty powerful. Don’t let The Patrick put you off!

Mind now at rest thanks for your response.
Now in process to solve issue of a suitable case for my project due to larger display. 3D printing ! Is a new challenge for me. Ready to move soon. Cheers

actually there is another hat in the ring with more sizes and selection and they are called DWIN in china and I have been looking at getting one of these displays. A customer service person posted in the Nextion group a nice project with there display and once it was figured out to not be a Nextion they were removed. I have a project where this 8.8 inch screen would be perfect for and they also have square displays. There store could be better if the options were better selected but worth looking into and if sharing this link is bad I expect it to be removed but I asked the admin if it was ok but didn’t get an answer but here is the link DWIN T5L 8,88 Inch TFT LCD Touch Panel Modul 1920x480 Auflösung 16,7 M Farben IPS Bildschirm Hohe Standard HMI Display Wifi/Lautsprecher|LCD-Module| - AliExpress

1 Like

Well, I found the link interesting

I came across this youtube video - and they actually answer questions in the video comments section https://youtu.be/wde9f2z9MwQ

Seems the Chinese language software can be easily switched to English language via setup

1 Like

I came across their user guide http://www.ampdisplay.com/documents/pdf/DGUS%20Software%20User%20Guide_V3%204%20(2).pdf

I don’t have the knowledge to distinguish if this is comparable to Nextion - maybe someone can comment?

1 Like