Unofficial Nextion/TJC User Forum

Slow display, slow serial, or slow library?

Hi all,
I recently started to work with a 3.5" enhanced display, connected to a Teensy 3.5, in the context of a development of a small music sequencer.
No problem whatsoever regarding the editor, and the interconnection with the Teensy. I use the Easynextion library, which makes things rather straightforward (https://github.com/Seithan/EasyNextionLibrary).
However, I wonder what sort of performance I can realistically expect from this display. I update regularly some text boxes, depending on the musical events happening along the timeline (see picture)
81331024-424e-44fa-b6fb-a5343e3a7a5e
I have tried to update around 200 of these text boxes , each of them with 2 characters, sent from the Teensy as strings, and it’s lagging. Baud rate on Teensy and Nextion is 921600 (works fine btw). Tried as well with a rate of 250000, and it’s as expected a bit slower.
I have no experience with those, so are my expectations simply unrealistic, or did I overlook something?
Thank you for any ideas or advices.

Using 200+ text boxes and addressing these one by one creates a horrible overhead. Take for example “t125.txt=7Fÿÿÿ” which makes you sending 14 bytes for an effective payload of only 2 bytes information.
What about packing your data into 32bit integers which corresponds to 8 characters, updating a pre-declared global variable with this over serial and let the Nextion code parse and display it?

Hi Fjodor,
Thank you very much, that makes totally sense. I basically need to send the current state of the sequencer every 16th note (that is 8 times / second, if the tempo is 120 bpm). Will see how that works.
Thanks again.

This forum is in no way affiliated with NEXTION®, ITEAD STUDIO®, TJC®, or anyone else really. All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product, and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement from the respective rights holder(s).