Unofficial Nextion/TJC User Forum

Nextion - sending images trough serial

Hi, my name is Breno, I recently graduated in mechatronics engineering in Brazil. I’ve been messing around with Nextion for some time now, but it’s my first time posting here, so I apologize in advance for bad english or if I’m posting this in the wrong place.

I am working on a project where I need to read some monochromatic images (about 200x700px) from a SD card, and display them on a touch screen as icons to be selected. The images will be different every time the SD is inserted, so I can’t just store them in Nextion firmware like we do with GUI images.

I know I can do that using a simple Arduino TFT screen and the library TFT.h. The problem is I need a 5 inch display, and I just can’t find an Arduino TFT screen bigger than 2.4" here in Brazil. It’s crazy, but I can only find 1.8" and 2.4" displays that are compatible with the TFT library. Also buying it from China or other country right now is not an option, unfortunally.

I have some experience with Nextion displays, and a basic Nextion 5" is something I can find here, but as far as I know, Nextion does not have a function like TFTscreen.image() in TFT library. The only thing I could think of was using ‘fill’, ‘line’ or ‘draw’ commands from Nextion, but that would require to draw every image almost pixel by pixel.

Is there any way I could send the images from Arduino to Nextion trough serial? Or maybe someone can recommend me a 5 inch touch screen that can do that and it’s easier to find?

Sorry to say with nextion, its not possible to do this…

That’s not true. The P series has the ExPicture component which can read and display pictures from the SD card.

Would the twfile command work?

Transfer file over Serial
twfile “sd0/0.jpg”,1120// transfer jpg over serial to sd0/0.jpg size 1120 bytes

The ExPicture component would be able to display that

This forum is in no way affiliated with NEXTION®, ITEAD STUDIO®, TJC®, or anyone else really. All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product, and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement from the respective rights holder(s).